We all know that it is important to stay hydrated. With water being the major component of our bodies it is a must for proper health. However, it can seem like a challenge to stay at the proper level of hydration for our bodies. In this post, we will talk about some helpful tips for staying hydrated as well as some reasons why it is so important for our body.
How much should we drink? This is an important question and it varies for each of us. My typical recommendation for people is to drink half of your body weight in ounces. For example, I weigh 160 lbs. so half of this would be 80 oz. a day as my recommendation for fluid intake. However with this its always good to consider that some people are at higher risk of dehydration, those who exercise, have certain medical conditions, are sick, or are not able to get enough fluids during the course of the day.
If you are concerned that you may not be drinking enough water, check your urine. If your urine is consistently colorless or light yellow, you are most likely staying well hydrated.
If you still feel like you are having difficulty drinking enough water here are some helpful tips!
Tips for staying hydrated
- Keep a bottle of water with you during the day. Consider carrying a reusable water bottle and filling it from the tap rather than purchasing bottled water.
- If plain water doesn’t interest you, try adding a slice of lemon or another citrus to your drink.
- If you’re going to be exercising, make sure you drink water before, during and after your workout.
- Start and end your day with a glass of water.
- When you’re feeling hungry, drink water. The sensation of thirst is often confused with hunger. True hunger will not be satisfied by drinking water. Drinking water may also contribute to a healthy weight loss plan, as some research suggests drinking water will help you feel full.
- Drink on a schedule if you have trouble remembering to drink water. For example, drink water when you wake up; at breakfast, lunch, and dinner; and when you go to bed. Or drink a small glass of water at the top of each hour.
- When you go to a restaurant drink water. Not only does it keep you hydrated, but it’s free.