December 22 marks the first official day of winter and as many of us Missourians know with that comes snow, ice, and generally unsafe road conditions. While I’m sure that most of us would love to curl up in bed during this time and avoid driving in these conditions, sadly that just isn’t possible. So what if you are on the road and the worst case happens; you get in a motor vehicle collision.
First off, how extreme is the injury and damage to your vehicle? Auto collisions can range from life-threatening to moderate, but no matter how severe the damage or how you feel after the accident there is typically some amount of soft tissue trauma. It is important to seek medical care for your injuries no matter how minimal they might seem after the accident. The most common soft tissue injury is whiplash, which is a sprain/strain injury of the neck and associated musculature.
Depending on how badly you are injured and the party at fault you may want to consider reaching out to legal counsel to assist cover any expenses incurred during your road to recovery. If your collision took place near Columbia, MO a resource you may consider using is The Law Firm of Haden & Haden. If you’ve been in a car accident and you’re a resident of Illinois some resources are available here as well.
Columbia, MO Car Accident Injuries
Below are our tips for how to deal with an auto accident. The important thing to remember is even if you don’t hurt after the accident often times soft tissue injury has what is called delayed onset. It is common to not have any issues until 3-5 weeks after the accident with this phenomena. Because of this, it is advisable to get care in the first few weeks regardless of how you feel, because chances are there is some amount of soft tissue damage present. If you or anyone you know ever has any questions about what we can do to help here at Active Life Chiropractic, feel free to call us at (573)999-7805.
7 Steps to Take After A Collision
- First make sure that everyone involved is safe. If the road is busy get everyone to safety and if anyone is seriously injured make sure someone calls 911 and they receive proper care.
- Make sure you get the information of all parties involved in the accident. This includes contact information as well as insurance information.
- If possible, make sure that a police report is filed. This helps to determine fault as well as protects all parties involved by getting an objective third party report.
- If any pain is present after the injury, it is always better to seek immediate medical attention. Often in the moment, adrenaline can take over and mask an injury that may be more serious.
- Report your accident to your insurance company. When doing this make sure that you do not minimize your injuries. Often if you minimize how you feel directly after the accident, the insurance will claim that you are not injured, when often soft tissue injuries do not show up immediately.
- Seek follow up medical care no matter what your injuries. For more obvious injuries, such as broken bones or cuts, medical care is obvious. However for soft tissue injuries, they can take a longer period to show up. Columbia Chiropractic care is an excellent choice for care after a motor vehicle accident. Not only will it help stabilize the joint structures, but it will help the soft tissues that have been stressed heal also.
- Don’t get discouraged! Often times a large injury can be hard to deal with, as well as the additional stress of fixing/replacing a car. The most important thing is not to get discouraged and realize that most of the time this injury will not be permanent. A positive attitude will help make the process a little easier.
Active Life Chiropractic is here to help you get back to feeling like yourself after your Columbia, MO Auto Accident. Feel free to contact us or schedule an appointment to see how we can help.
– Dr. Sam Henley